Following the foundation of the United Federation of Planets, Star Fleet Security was not only responsible for Star Fleet security, but also some Federation outposts, starships, and facilities. In this function, they act in ways analogous to local and regional police agencies, but Star Fleet Security's mandate extends much farther than that. The agency is responsible for maintaining and enforcing Star Fleet Security regulations, procedures and policies on all Star Fleet and affiliated facilities, outposts, and vessels. In addition, this agency is responsible for issuing and approving security clearances of all Star Fleet/United Federation of Planets personnel.
This agency, in close cooperation with Star Fleet Intelligence, is also responsible for counter-intelligence operations. The agency is also responsible for the security of the Federation President, as well as members of the Federation Council and visiting alien dignitaries.
In a situation of emergency, officers may be assigned to planetary security.
Security personnel served both in defensive and offensive positions, ranging from security patrols on board a starship, to guarding prisoners, to firing the ship's weapons, to providing protection during landing party/away team missions, and more.
The person in charge of all the Security personnel, regardless of where they are stationed, is the Chief of Security.
Notable Security Officers
- Chekov was in charge of security on the USS Enterprise in 2273.
- Worf served as security officer aboard the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-D .
- Odo performed station security on Deep Space 9, although he was not an official part of Star Fleet Security.
- Aboard the USS Voyager, Tuvok was the security officer.
- Malcolm Reed was posted as armory officer - prior to the Federation Star Fleet Security being established - aboard the Enterprise.