An outpost is any of several types of remote or "frontier" based sites.
They can be referred to as a "base" or "settlement," are are usually only minimally equipped.
Typically designated for research or defense, an outpost can be used to monitor a territory or political border.
- Relay Station 47, a subspace relay station, is considered a Federation outpost.
- Following the Earth-Romulan War, Earth established a series of outposts, constructed on asteroids in order to monitor the Romulan Neutral Zone.
- A Federation outpost located on Caleb IV came under attack in the 23rd century by rogue Klingon forces.
- In 2370, Calder II was the location of an outpost that consisted of a small science station, and had limited defensive capabilities.
It has a type-four deflector shield, which protects it and the surrounding ruins, as well as two phaser banks.
- The Son'a had an outpost on Devos II in 2375, which was the site of a ketracel-white production facility.
See also: Listening post