Rank in Federation Space is not arbitrarily awarded, but earned by the collection of points. Points are issued on the first of every month. There are a few caps in place because, lets face it, over time without the caps the site would be overrun with Captains and Admirals with nowhere for them to go.
The rank system, the points required for each rank, and how to earn the points are listed below:
|0 - 1,499||Midshipman (Mid)|
|1,500 - 3,499||Ensign (Ens)|
|3,500 - 7,499||Lieutenant Junior Grade (Lt [JG])|
|7,500 - 14,999||Lieutenant (Lt)|
|15,000 - 28,799||Lieutenant Commander (LCdr)|
|28,800 - 57,599||Commander (Cdr)|
|57,600 - 71,999||Captain (Capt)|
|72,000 - 100,799||Commodore (Cmdr)|
|100,800 - 129,599||Rear Admiral (RAdm)|
|129,600 - 157,999||Vice Admiral (VAdm)|
|158,000 - 187,199||Admiral (Adm)|
|187,200 & Up||Fleet Admiral (FAdm)|
|0 - 1,499||Recruit (Rct)|
|1,500 - 3,499||Crewman Recruit (CMR)|
|3,500 - 7,499||Crewman Apprentice (CMA)|
|7,500 - 14,999||Crewman (CM)|
|15,000 - 28,799||Petty Officer 3rd Class (PO3)|
|28,800 - 57,599||Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)|
|57,600 - 71,999||Petty Officer 1st Class (PO1)|
|72,000 - 100,799||Chief Petty Officer (CPO)|
|100,800 - 129,599||Senior Chief Petty Officer (SCPO)|
|129,600 - 157,999||Master Chief Petty Officer (MCPO)|
|158,000 - 187,199||Command Master Chief Petty Officer (CMCPO)|
|187,200 & Up||Master Chief Petty Officer of Star Fleet (MCPOSF)|
Points are awarded on the following basis:
- up to 500 pts - for each month of active participation in a mission at the discretion of the CO.
- up to 300 pts - for each month of active Game Moderating a mission at the discretion of the GM-Administrator.
- up to 300 pts - for each month of active Academy Instruction at the discretion of the Academy Superintendent.
- up to 300 pts - for each month of holding the CO position at the discretion of the Fleet Commander (FC).
- up to 200 pts - for each month of holding the FO position at the discretion of the Commanding Officer (CO).
- up to 100 pts - for each month of holding a Department Head Position at the discretion of the Commanding Officer (CO).
- 300 pts - for recruiting a new player to Federation Space, once the player has reached the rank of Ensign (ENS). It is up to the recruiting player to notify their CO, who will then notify the FC of this when this occurs.
An additional variable amount of points may be earned by the following actions:
- Earning a Medal or Award.
- Contributing services to the site. This can include supplying graphics or content to a page. If you have something to contribute, email President Barnett at email@example.com.
- Active participation will be judged by the CO of the ship. The CO may assign any number of points from 1 to 500 based on your participation. Check with your CO for their policies on posting and points.
- GM points are awarded on a scale of 0-200 for participation in a mission at the discretion of the GM Manager. Generally the way this works is 25 points/post, however the GM Manager has discretion to adjust as necessary. This yields a normal maximum of 200 points/month. The other 100 points are reserved for 'bonuses' awarded for special acts or exceptional performance.
All points will be tabulated and posted on the 1st of every month. Members newly promoted will be listed in the Red Alert Monthly Points thread. In-game promotions may not be taken until such rank is achieved and posted in the Monthly Points Thread, and all characters must occupy each rank for one posting cycle before moving up to the next--no skipping ranks.
- All players are capped at the rank of Ensign until they have furnished a fully completed bio.
- All players are capped at the rank of Lieutenant until:
- a) they have been offered and have accepted a DH position, AND
- b) they have completed an in-game command training class or certification (this is to reinforce the role playing aspects of being a "Commander").
- DHs are capped at the rank of Lieutenant Commander until:
- a) they have been offered and have accepted an FO position, OR
- b) an exception has been made by their FC, AND they are serving aboard a Capital ship (BB, CV).
- Players are capped at the rank of Commander until:
- a) they are given command of a ship, OR
- b) they have made FO of a capital (BB, CV) ship which has a Commodore or higher CO, AND they are approved for override by site admin.
- COs are capped at the rank of Captain until:
- a) they become a GROUP COMMANDER in game (Fleet Commander out of game), and commands a CA, BC, BB, CV, OR
- b) they command a BC, BB, CV and are granted a promotion by site admin approval;
Rank Insignia Usage
The rank pip graphics on this page where created by former President Jonathan Beckett and other Federation Space Players, for the Federation Space RPG. Please do not copy these images, simply email the President and President Barnett will happily pass along the files to anyone who takes the time to ask him for them and agrees to credit the graphics appropriately.