A Game Moderator is the "Dungeon Master" of Federation Space.
Once a ship is given a mission, the assigned "GM" is the one who helps move the mission along. When a character asks for GM input, it is the GM's job to answer to the best of their abilities within the confines of the mission outline.
A GM is allowed to injure a player's character, as well as mortally injure a "Non-Playable Character."
- For example, a GM may say that a player's character is shot, but not fatally, whereas a temporary character "John Doe" is allowed to be shot in the head and killed.
If you are interested in being a Game Moderator for Federation Space, there are pre-requisites according to the FedSpace Constitition:
- Rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade or higher.
- A history of running well-defined subplots.
- Approval of their Commanding Officer (CO).
- Is not permitted to GM a ship on which they have a rated character.
- May have characters on no more than half of the active player ships at any one time.
- Example: if there are 5 active ships, there may be characters on no more than 2 of those ships.
In addition, a minimum six months experience as Game Moderator (GM) is a requisite for Commanding Officer.