|Affiliation:||United Federation of Planets|
|Average Male Height:||170 cm (5 ft. 7 in.) to 198 cm (6 ft. 6 in.)|
|Average Male Weight:||72.6 kg (160 lb.) to 108.9 kg (240 lb.)|
|Average Female Height:||165 cm (5 ft. 5 in.) to 188 cm (6 ft. 2 in.)|
|Average Female Weight:||59 kg (130 lb.) to 90.7 kg (200 lb.)|
|Minimum Academy Age:||18|
Denobulans have prominent facial ridges, which run down either side of their forehead to their cheeks, as well as an enlarged brow ridge under a high receding hairline, a vertical crevice in the center of the forehead, and a ridged chin. They also have ridges on their back, along the spine. Their toenails are dark brown and yellow striped, and grow so rapidly that they must be groomed at least once a week. Denobulans also have very long tongues, and they are known to use tongue scrapers in order to clean them. Denobulan males have a line of hair down the middle of their chest, up to their throat.
Unique facial abilities:
- Denobulans have a unique ability to enlarge their faces. This is an instinct for when they feel threatened.
- They are able to have what is considered an unusually wide smile for humanoids.
- Denobulans seem to change their eye color depending on their moods.
Denobulans have highly-efficient natural climbing abilities. This give them the capability of scaling vertical rock faces, for example, at a rapid speed with no equipment whatsoever, instead appearing to scuttle up the rock face without needing to find handholds.
This species normally require very little sleep, but they do hibernate for five to six days each year. However, a minimum two is sufficient. If a Denobulan is awakened prematurely, the results can be somewhat unpredictable - hibernating Denobulans, if woken, appear extremely disoriented and confused, with oddly-pitched voices, and have difficulty maintaining normal motor skills and cognitive functions.
They appear to possess particularly powerful immune systems; when a Denobulan was nearly assimilated by the Borg, it was observed that his immune system was able to fight off the nanoprobes long enough for him to find a means of killing them, although he admitted that his immune system would not be able to hold them off indefinitely.
Females of this species have very potent pheromones which the males can sense, and are released when they are romantically interested in someone, presumably during their mating season.
- Denobulan males have been known to become violent during the mating season.
Neurophysiology was as resilient as Humans, but less so than that of Vulcans. Disruptions throughout a Denobulan's neocortex would most likely be lethal. Denobulans could be drugged and rendered unconscious by means such as anesthesia gas or a Vulcan Nerve Pinch, same as other Humanoids such as Vulcans and Humans. Radiation has also been documented to affect this species differently, though less or more depending on the type of radiation.
The average life expectancy of Denobulans is not explicitly stated, but indications suggest that lifespans are extremely long.
- This war ended while Earth was in the 17th century, and Phlox mentioned it during the 22nd century
- This revealed that only three generations of Denobulans had existed in the space of over five hundred years, suggesting a very long lifespan.
On Denobula, the 12 billion Denobulan inhabitants all share one continent. Denobulan culture has come to embrace close, communal lifestyles.
- It is unspecified whether this habitation arrangement is due to necessity or choice on the part of the Denobulans.
Denobulans are typically polygamous, with a man typically having three wives, and each of those wives with three husbands. This creates extremely large extended families (Example: Doctor Phlox had 720 familial relationships, 42 with romantic possibilities). In addition, Denobulan marriages are not exclusive, and married Denobulans can be intimate with anyone they choose.
- The females emit powerful pheromones during their mating season.
- Male Denobulans often become combative during this time, and mating can require medical supervision.
Denobulans typically prefer to be amongst large groups, and find solitude uncomfortable.
Traditionally, Denobulan males are more inhibited than Denobulan women, often finding the idea of disrobing in front of others uncomfortable.
Amongst Denobulans, it is considered healthy for a person to hallucinate.
- It is seen as a harmless way to release nervous energy.
- This can be compared to the Human ability to daydream.
Denobulans do not talk during meals, as they consider it a waste of time.
Denobulans were renowned for having an abundance of patience.
Denobulans living on their home planet do not typically keep pets.
Denobulans once believed that they were the only intelligent species in the galaxy, until the B'Saari made first contact.
During the 20th century, Denobulans had a form of entertainment similar to Human movies. However, this species decided that their real lives were more interesting, and abandoned this type of media.
Denobulans have a widely-documented use of genetic engineering, generally yielding positive results. According to Denobulans history, those who resided on their homeworld never came close to using genetic engineering to destroy one another.
- During the last war, Denobulan battle tactics killed 20 million Antarans.
- The Denobulans also demonized the Antarans, turning them into a faceless enemy.
- As of the 22nd century, there were still some Denobulans that hated Antarans, although most had outgrown the hatred.
In 2155, a Denobulan ambassador was sent to Earth to join in talks of forming the Coalition of Planets.